Jan 29, 2009

So I was hoping to do a short story about 4 minutes long. It is a little ambitious but I think its possible.

I am working on a story board but can give the narrative,
The setting is dusk on a suburban street, raining enough to allow a specular glimmer on the sidewalk from the street lamps. The first introduction to my only character is a close up as he drives up. He sits in his car listening to Tchaikovsky's Autumn song on an AM channel and drops his head in kind of a lonely manner before he gets out and goes inside. He is an older man and was a top dancer in his prime.

I plan to have him modeled similar to the chess player in Pixars earlier short. He enters the house and puts his coat away, in passing he looks at some hallway photos of his past dance career. He puts on his record of that same Tchaikovsky ballad and listens shortly with a grin of fond memories. He starts to sway in his haggard old man movement, there is a transition into a performance stage environment, but very much still his home. He dances better and better through the completion of the song. He then slowly bends and holds his back as he walks into study and the environment darkens to the previous lighting. He sits, short of breath, in his chair with the same grin as earlier and closes his eyes.

I am hoping to import most of the character animation from the moCap and motionBuilder export. My wife and I have choreographed my characters old and haggard movement and a dance piece to help show that it is his imagination that is wandering and not his old body becoming more able. I am going to use my Condo I created in Maya 1 and have a outside block also completed. I will be needing to model a car, character+rigging, and modifying my current environment from snow to rain.


This video inspired my idea:
Baginski - Fallen Art



This is my Condo from Maya 1 and will need some modifications.



Here is the song that will be playing in AM radio quality to Vinyl



Here are some images of the look and feel of the characters and modeling style.

Pic of old man for character

















image on wall that old man reminisces to


another dancer photo


car possibility

No comments: