Nov 1, 2007

Beowulf

Hi,
So when I first saw the trailer for Beowulf, lets just say I wasn't all the impressed. I mean does the world need more Angelina Jolie? Seriously folks, she's so 2001 (Tomb Raider was enough). Back to Beowulf, from the trailer it looked like just another hopped up 3d FX intensive movie. So, I promptly shoved this movie to the back burner.

Then came along the recent issue of Wired. Beowulf is going to be released in 3D! Hmmm, intriguing. I haven't experienced a 3d movie since, hmmmm, Capt EO... Disneyworld? Michael Jackson? Circa 1986.... Anyhow, Its been a while.

According to the article, there is no red/blue lenses, it uses polorizing lenses and the digital process removes a lot of the headache inducing stuttering. So needless to say, I'm actually finding myself excited to experience Beowulf in 3D. Damn you clever marketing.

Now, true, there has been other 3d movies out recently, Meet the Robinsons, some IMAX crap, but this is full blown action/fantasy/sword/monster romp. I'm enticed to see what they can do with surround sound, immersive digital envirnments, and I regret to say, Angelina Jolie....

In the EV program I have been exposed to simple 3d environments created by students and I can't wait to put on the glasses and see what millions of dollars and a movie studio can do with the technology. I have great hopes for this film, if not for the acting, for the process and implementation of 3D technology.

-Jerad

PS. Here is a link to the company that is doing the VFX for the movie.

No comments: